Most of us have a lot that we’d like to improve -that’s natural. We want to be healthier, happier, and calmer. We want to be disciplined enough to implement a regular exercise routine and eat more unprocessed, healthy food. We have big goals and dreams that we will only accomplish if we get at it and work!
So why is it that we sometimes lack that motivation to create new healthy habits?
Well, to be honest, habit change comes with a lot of mental resistance. Most days, you think to yourself, “I’ll just start tomorrow,” and continue doing what you’ve always done because, oh we know, change is hard. It takes patience, hard work, and dedication to change a habit system you’ve spent years reinforcing.
Of course, there is no magic potion, but if there was, we’d let you know!
But lucky for you, we’ve done our research and found the best strategies you can use daily to help you promote lasting change.
The one system that the world’s leading experts on habit formation seem to agree on? Starting small!
Keep reading to discover how slowly implementing small habits into your routine can lead to big changes!
Tiny habits lead to massive results… Trust us!
Even though it’s not quite magic-potion-level easy, change doesn’t have to be so challenging. By incorporating small, favorable habits into your routine, every aspect of your life will change for the better over time.
Let’s look at the math, shall we? Say you get 1% better every day than you were the day before. By the end of just one year, you’re a whopping 37 times better than when you started, and if that isn’t life-changing, I don’t know what is!
According to the experts, you can, and should, start very small to get big results.
For example, you can begin by creating the habit of drinking a glass of water every morning as soon as you wake up. In a few weeks, once that habit sets in, you can move on to something else. With all these small changes adding up over time, you’ll be shocked at how much you can accomplish!
Need inspiration? Here are five small but mighty healthy habits:
- Eat more veggies! Begin to eat at least one meal that follows the Balanced Plate Model daily. This means that 50% of your plate should be loaded with colorful, non-starchy veggies, 25% with protein, and 25% with carbs, along with a small portion of healthy fats.
- Practice mindful eating: This can help you gain more presence, healthier eating habits, and is incredible for your physical and mental health.
- 5-10 minutes of gentle exercise in the morning can boost your endorphins all day long without requiring you to commit to an intense workout routine. This can look like a short yoga session, walk, solo dance party, or a HIIT workout – Do what makes you happy, and get those feel-good chemicals flowing!
- Count your blessings: Studies have shown that people who practice gratitude are much happier, more confident, and less depressed.
- Go to sleep and wake up earlier: You get your best-quality sleep before midnight and can enjoy the peace of the early morning hours. There’s no downside to this one!
Change is hard… but you’ve got this!
The truth is, we’re only human, and there’s always room for improvement. Be patient, go easy on yourself, and don’t beat yourself up if you slip up. This only gets easier with time!
Today’s Daily Action
Make a list of small, easy habits you would like to incorporate into your day. It can be as long or as short as you’d like.
Pick the most realistic, easiest habit on your list, and don’t wait – Start now! In a few weeks, you can re-visit your list and choose another habit to incorporate into your daily life. Follow these tips, and you’ll be living your best life in no time!
Clear, J. (2018). Atomic habits: tiny changes, remarkable results: an easy & proven way to build good habits & break bad ones. New York, New York: Avery, an imprint of Penguin Random House.