1 (15oz) canned chickpeas or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
(save the liquid for use later)
1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon-juiced)
1/4 cup (60 ml) well-stirred tahini
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 ml) aquafaba (if hummus is too thick)
Dash ground paprika or sumac (for serving)
- Open can of Chickpeas, reserve about 2 tablespoons of liquid
- Using a strainer, rinse chickpeas, thoroughly, in cold water
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds more. This extra time helps “whip” or “cream” the tahini, making the hummus smooth and creamy.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice.
- Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds or until well blended.
- Open, drain, and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, then add remaining chickpeas and process until thick and quite smooth; 1 to 2 minutes.
Place in airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days.